Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TAKE TIME To Be With God!

If you have been in the pastorate for any amount of time, you have discovered one thing for sure - you can become mighty busy quickly!! As ministers called of God, our hearts are focused on the needs of the church God has called us to serve. Our churches are busy with activities and programs. Much of what the church does needs our personal attention and involvement. There are ocassions when the activities/the busy-ness make it difficult to find the necessary time to prepare powerful sermons that impact the lives of the people that will make up your congregations on Sunday. And yes - there are even times when no one seems to care that the busy-ness of the church's schedule has overwhelmed you and you don't have that time for personal preparation.

When you begin to recognize that busy-ness has overrun you, it is time to "retreat" in some fashion. Matthew 6: 33 is applicable to we who serve as pastors---SEEK FIRST HIM---all this other stuff can take second, third, or maybe even fiftieth place. Focus on your relationship with Christ Jesus.

All of us have been there! No matter how hard you try to find balance for your life, there will be times when you're going to find yourself short on time and Sunday's sermon or Wednesday's Bible lesson is not yet complete. It's certainly a nail biting and scary stress that sometimes falls upon us Saturday at about 10PM while compiling a Sunday morning message that will lift up, encourage and inspire the congregation. That stress and lack of sleep can interfere with your ability to present the message that God's people need to hear from His servant in that service. So - strive daily to find your "rest" in Him.

A couple of years back a member church in TRBA invited me to do revival in their church. I was sick a LOT that year and had been out of work for several weeks recovering from surgery, etc. There was much concern that I might not physically be able to preach a series of 5 sermons. One of the remarkable things about that recovery time was the lessons God was teaching me as I studied His Word and sought His face. Day-after-day I experience so much as I could do nothing but read, meditate, and pray.

I did go back to work, and I was PHYSICALLY drained!!!! The host pastor was concerned. God would not allow release me from preaching the revival. I remember becoming overwhelmed and stressed the Monday of revival. I came to work and was physically exhausted from the two sermons on Sunday. After a couple of hours I thought, "I cannot stay here all day and preach tonight." I packed up and told the staff I was going home to "prepare for tonight's sermon." The secretary asked, "what are you going to do?" My response - "go home and take a nap."

That night I was refreshed physically. There was no stress from the lack of study THAT day. It was like Jesus comforted me with the knowledge that I had spent countless hours in His Word and seeking His face. I could TRUST Him to provide all that I needed for that hour! From the OVERFLOW of being in His presence, His words came through me His instrument. If we make our time with Christ Jesus our priority, then He can use us in greater ways!

Let me share with you some ideas from 30+ years of ministry. NOTHING I say is "rocket science," but I hope it helps in some way:

1. Stay Focused: Focused on Christ as your Savior; Christ as LORD of all; on His Word; seeking His face in prayer for the message that He desires you to proclaim to His people. I know this generation emphasizes "multi-tasking," and I am pretty good at that! HOWEVER, I think there needs to be a QUIET place where you and the Lord can be together and where you can be IN HIS WORD uninterrupted from the distractions of the world. Find that place where you can BE STILL and KNOW God better.

2. Plan your sermon series/develop a strategy: Having your Bible, commentaries, computer accessories, etc. makes it easier as you seek God in that quiet place. Do not just think of THIS Wednesday's study or THIS Sunday's message. Think of those opportunities under the light of the greater picture of the message that God would have His people to hear. I encourage you to plan 6 weeks or more in advance. I always liked to share with my staff my tentative plans so they could pray with me, plan their part of the service with the knowledge of where I believed God was leading me, and they could "hold me accountable."

Again, from the overflow of time alone with God and seeking His face, comes the message that God's people need to hear. Even during those busy weeks where you face writer's block or the busy-ness of church programs and ministry, you'll have an easier starting point. This will also help you keep your preaching proactive instead of reactive. When your preaching is reactive, you are only cleaning up messes or "excusing" yourself in your own mind. When your preaching is proactive, you are heading off potential problems that will waste the churches time and potential for growth.

3. Spend Time in Prayer: Prayer is the foundational bedrock of all we are to do in His name as undershepherds in His church. Ask God to attend His Word -- to pursue and own it to the hearts and minds of His people. Pray also that He will use it to move and shape you. From the work He is doing in you, proclaim His truth to His people.

4. Develop great resources: Having access to great resources allows you to spark ideas quicker and use that as a springboard for your messages. Listen to sermons; read several translations; read on topics of church health; develop a friendship with another pastort to discuss the topic. etc. etc. Your responsibility is to "feed His sheep" and you must be IN HIM to have the nourishment needed to be that undershepherd He has called you to be!

5. Set aside special time to prepare your message: I have heard men say they wait until Saturday night to prepare their sermons (as well as SS teachers to prepare their lessons). I have discovered through the years that there are a LOT of Saturdays where I have completely readjusted my plans to accomodate a need in the life of church members; spend time with family and friends; etc. etc. If I did not set aside some "extra" time, then my sermon and Bible study prep suffered. If my time with the Lord becomes less and less, I cannot be "in Him" as necessary and my overall ministry suffers. To please Christ in our delivery of His Word, set aside some time EARLIER in the week - maybe Thursday night or EARLY in the morning would be the perfect time to set aside (with plenty of time to spare before Saturday night) where you flesh out and get the core of your message. This also enables you (generally) to get hymns that reinforce in the bulletin; illustrations and PowerPoint slides organized that reinforce the message; perhaps even email your deacons and staff for specific prayer requests as you continue to meditate and prepare for the upcoming message. Starting early will give you ample time to re-read your message and make needed changes. In fact, often times after a message is put together this way, God has a way of inspiring added thoughts that help to strengthen the message He has for you to share that day!

that you will want to include.

6. Take it all the way to the Altar: When you are delivering the message that God has given you, remember, you are His mouthpiece. You are standing in His stead. Speak with authority. Don't apologize for God's Word. Preach with boldness. Speak with love and compassion. Don't preach down to people. Don't get off track. Make your point and take it all the way to the Altar call. Invite people to "make things right with God."

One of the things I am trying to convince the pastors of TRBA is that we - the TRBA Staff - DAILY lift up our pastors in prayer! As we gather for staff meetings on Monday mornings,we pray for our pastors and our churches. Individually throughout the week, we lift them up in our personal prayers. During the weekends when we know the men who serve as our pastors will be proclaiming His truth, we lift them up in prayer - as well as our church members. We are praying FERVENTLY for renewal and revival! We recognize that the enemy is busy trying to keep us from His purpose.

Wanted to share with you today that you are in our prayers today! May God bless you as you faithfully serve Him daily!

No comments: