Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Future Of Conventions/Associations/The Local Church

There has been a LOT of talk about the "Great Commission Resurgence" in Baptist life over the past year. In fact, a vote was taken at SBC 2010 in Orlando that could change much in our denomination. However, it should be noted that MUCH HAS BEEN SAID about the Great Commission itself through the ages. "Talk is cheap," what have our actions been? What will our actions be? Will all this "talk" make any difference in how we live out the Great Commission? If the stats continue to scream out actions similar to our actions in the past, we will discover that we are good with the talk and still unlikely to do the walk that leads to a church alive in Christ and advancing ther cause of Christ to a lost world.

All this "talk" has at least gotten us to look at the future. In the early 1990's I remember reading that by the year 2035, 65% of the churches of that day would close their doors. Being from Bible-belt NC, I thought that was a stupid stat. Today, I would concur. With @90% of our churches stagnated/dying, that may be a conservative estimate.

For a while I have heard discussions on "one level of denominational life" collapsing in the SBC. There has been debate as to whether it would be the national convention, the state convention, or the local association. I think I am coming to the conclusion that the level that will collapse "depends" on a couple of factors. (1) Where you are geographically - the rural south and the rural midwest are different "creatures" but whichever level meets their needs will survive. (2) Large urban area churches and/or mega churches will gravitate towards state and national and see no need for the local association but smaller and less urban areas will gravitate toward the local association - at least for a season longer. The rest depends on a lot more factors.

REALITY -- a great deal hinges on our willingness to pray together/work together/live together/pray together/seek God together, etc. etc. etc. In some, I see a willingness to seek and serve God. In some I see no willingness to seek and serve God together. I see a LOT of us operating in "survival mode" and that - my opinion - is not honoring to God.

I think we do need to re-focus. Is a vote for or against any type of resurgence enough? I believe there needs to be a new and fresh commitment on the part of God's people to BE the people God is calling us to be to this generation. I believe He is calling us to be "bold and courageous." I do not believe He is calling us to operate in "survival mode." God is calling us to live VICTORIOUSLY in Him, abiding in Him, lifting Him up--and He will draw the people unto Himself.

What do we, the convention (national and state), local associations, the local church, need to do? I think we need to "re-visit" God's call/command to His church and work together to build up the local church. In a recent meeting I was discussing a ministry of the association and sharing my belief that the role of the association was to decrease and that the role of the local church was to increase in that and all ministries the association was involved with. One of the attendees who had a differing opinion said, "If all of us were to adopt that attitude, you wouldn't have a job." When your job is to equip the church to be the church, that is nothing to feart. If all 54 TRBA churches were all God was calling them to be - there would be no need for me in this capacity.

What do we need to do until then - for I firmly believe in the future of the local association? I think we look to our purpose. I am sure it says our mission/aim/purpose is to assist the local church in being the church. I am certainb we are to establish priorities that help us accomplish just that - develop leaders/disciples, nurture fellowship, promote missions and ministry, and otherwise assist the churches in becoming churches of purpose to this generation.

Join me in praying for our convention, association, and member churches. Pray that we will strive to be all that God is calling us to be to THIS generation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe you're right on. Abiding in Christ is the key. If there's a bull's eye in my life that I'm shooting for, that's it. I am realizing also, that as an introvert, I really need to keep myself out there with people. Hopefully, I'm doing that under the Spirit's direction. To me the Association is vitally important. It's the first place beyond the local church to find help and build relationships. Thanks for your words and your friendship, Dougald.