Tuesday, March 24, 2009

CALL FOR REVIVAL AND SPIRITUAL AWAKENING

Over the past several months my heart has been burdened about the LOSTNESS of our communities and the need for revival in the church of North America - the church of TRBA. The theme for the Annie Armstrong Emphasis dealt with the URGENCY that is before us, but I wonder - how urgent is it TO US?

Over the past couple of years my life seems to be overshadowed with meeting after meeting. Few of them relate to the URGENCY before our church as much as they relate to the busy-ness of the church. Unfortunately, much time and energy is spent preserving the status guo and little time and energy is spent in actual ministry to those around us in need; in sharing His message of hope, help, and deliverance to the Lost around us; or in equipping our churches to become engaged in the work God has called us to be to our communities and around the world. Sure, I know we can all become defensive about what we are doing, but I think God is calling us to LOOK THROUGH HIS EYES AND UNDER THE LIGHT OF HIS WORD and what we are doing as HIS church.

This summer the Mission Team went to Niger, West Africa. We commented on the lost-ness of the people and expressed our burden for the people - especially the children. We commented that the culture would never be reached unless and until men stepped up to serve as missionaries in that culture. My heart aches for the people of Niger and I pray daily that God will raise up men and women of faith to proclaim His message to the people in that country.

In one of my presentations after that mission trip, I said "men need to step up to the plate there...." and it dawned on me - how different is Niger from America? DESPITE our freedom to worship, and our opportunities to share openly our faith in Christ, we - people who call ourselves Christ-followers, are not being faithful to the task. Reality - if things do not change in North America, just like the little children of West Africa, 94+% of our little ones will grow up without a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as well.

A couple of weeks back Chris Carroll and I went to New England to set up our missions trip for this summer. I experienced a "spiritual vacuum" among the people.

Last week at our Ministers' Fellowship we discussed the lack of discipleship among those who claim to be Christ-followers. In addition, in last week's e-zine to pastors I sent out a "call to prayer for revival and spiritual awakening," asking our pastors in particular and our churches in general to join me in praying for just that throughout TRBA, our state and nation, and around the world as well. I believe we have a generation to reach and God is holding us accountable.

In four separate conversations LAST week with separate pastors we have discussed that there is a feeling of spiritual oppression in their church fields. We also discussed this a little at the Ministers' Fellowship and stated that we need to recognize that we are in a BATTLE with THE ENEMY. And yes - we emphasized that there is in fact an ENEMY out there and his intent is to destroy our witness and distract us from our work as the Lord's church. Unfortunately, he has been pretty successful in keeping many of us from being engaged in the ministry of His church to a hurting and LOST world.

I could go on and on, but the above statements should be sufficient. There is a NEED before us! There needs to be REVIVAL in the church and a spiritual awakening among the people all around us. And - the revival and renewed commitment to LIVE DAILY for the Living LORD Jesus Christ needs to begin in those of us who have accepted the call to ministry and serve as spiritual leaders in our churches. God has convicted me to do just that.

Check my pastors' blog and/or church member's blog OFTEN for periodic updates. Beginning in April I will be placing information about this call for prayer on the associational website and invite the laity to join us in prayer. It is my hope that you - as pastors and spiritual leaders in your church have already announced this call to our churches and your church is taking steps to be engaged in this effort.

I will also be placing items on the TRBA calendar as I receive responses from you/your church. I haqve been somewhat surprised that I have not received much input from those of us who serve in spiritual leadership positions. I pray that will be changing as I continue to pray about this and lay out plans of action to the member churches and to you as spiritual leaders. To this point, this is the call to prayer:

1. Month of April - pastors, church staffs/leaders, churches cluster for times of prayer - pray for revival in the church. I encourage you to specifically mention this call for prayer from the pulpit and gather your people together to pray for revival in your church and spiritual awakening in your community.

2. April 27th. TRBA Spring Meeting - at the meeting there will be an emphasis on the call for prayer as we gather for a time of worship and celebration in our Spring Meeting. You will be getting additional information in April concerning the meeting. Be MUCH in prayer for Kevin Byers as he prepares to bring the message that God is laying on his heart to deliver to the people that will be in attendance at White Level on April 27th.

3. Thursday, May 7th -- National Day of Prayer Service at TRBA Center (10:00 AM): Again, you will receive more information later about this.

4. Looking for Host Churches/Pastors to host prayer meetings: Actually, I am looking for AT LEAST three(3) churches to host prayer meetings on Thursdays throughout May at 10 AM (or other times as well). There can be several churches hosting times of prayer at the same time. On May 14th I need a Zebulon area church---on May 21st I need a Spring Hope area church. On May 28th I need a Franklinton/Youngsville area church to host (but am praying for numerous places for pastors and laity to gather and pray). In reality, I am hoping that churches will come forward to host times of prayer morning, noon, and night - giving all of our people multiple opportunities to gather in prayer.

After the month of May, I will be inviting you to join me in monthly times of prayer back at the Association. Naturally, I am hoping that other members of your staff and laity from our congregations will also gather for seasns of prayer.

Certainly we can not all be at every place each time, but we can be (and I would add should be) able to host and/or attend several times of prayer for revival in our churches and a spiritual awakening among the people in our area that will allow them to sense the need for a daily walk with the Living Lord.

As Frankie shared in our devotional at the Ministers' Fellowship last week - the word "IF" is used often in God's Word. One place is 2 Chronicles 7: 14 - "If MY People......THEN I will...." We all know the verse. Join me in prayer and EXPECT to experience God as He works in and through His church!!!!!

If you/your church is willing to host a prayer meeting or will establish ongoing times of prayer, please get that information to me ASAP so that I can post it on our website and publicize it. The newsletter and e-zines for to about 1300 people and those 1300 people are in positions to share with others in our churches and in our communities.

Join me in praying for revival in our churches and a spiritual awakening among the people of our communities. Trust God to provide the harvest and expect to experience God in the days ahead.

No comments: