Sunday, November 16, 2008

Burden for the church in its mission

I begin this post with no title for the blog. I am burdened for the church as we set out on the years ahead. Increasingly I think of the statement I read several years back - that 65% of the existing churches in North America in 1990 would close their doors by 2035.

First, when I read it that date seemed so far off. Now, it seems to be looming just around the corner. Second, I thought NO WAY! But as the new Wal Mart Commercial says it, "Way."

In 2003, NAMB in its promo materials stated that 48 churches a month in North America were closing their doors. Though we have only seen new and unhealthy church starts close their doors in TRBA, we have decreased over 700 active members since 2000 (the equivalent of 7 churches). In addition, we are certainly not reaching the people that are lost at the rates we should. Therefore, I am burdened about the church and am beginning to realize that IF the churches of today do not change and embrace the task before us, there will indeed be 65% or better of our churches closing their doors.

It appears to me that we are at a crossroad. It further appears to me that it is high time for us to choose which path we will take. The path we are currently on, or the new path that will lead US to be the church God is calling us to be in our communities and around the world. I PRAY it will be the latter.

Why do I say such things:

1. 92% of our churches have plateaued (are declining). We are not reaching the lost nor keeping up with population growth.
2. 95% of Baptists never share their faith.
3. Churches are not discipling our members.
4. Multitudes of churches are losing the 18-22 year-olds that were churched youth because church is not essential/relevant to them.
5. We are preoccuppied with "stuff" and not concentrated on becoming the Great Commandment/Great Commission churches that God has commanded us to become to this generation.

Please begin to pray with me about something we may call THRIVE. An intentional effort as Associational Missionary, Pastors, and church leaders to "revitalize" our churches in the work that God is calling us to be. In the next several weeks, you will be getting additional information from me concerning this. Please read through the materials and pray about you and your church becoming involved with this.

If I can be of help go you, please call on me.

1 comment:

Mark C said...

Thanks, Dougald. As pastors, we do need to be confronted with bad news. Praise God, we have His Holy Spirit to give us hope, motivate and empower us to lead the church to become healthy.